Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Potato Resist #1

First, I taped a very light green piece of fabric to a piece of plastic (like a ruler used for rotary cutting) pulling the masking tape to keep the fabric tight. I smeared some mashed potato paste resist all over it in a thick layer and then marked it with a big comb-looking plastic thing. (Sorry about the technical jargon.)


Then I let it dry overnight. The cracks I got looked really good.

The idea is that the resist grabs on to the fibres and doesn't let the dye in. So, I dabbed it with some thickened dye but it wasn't quite thick enough and the nice cracks in the resist let too much dye through.

And some close-up shots.


You can see that there is a bit of the mashed potato paste left on the fabric.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I have been reading about Potato Dexitrin or starch and tried potato starch that I bought at the grocery store. It turned out too thick but I want to try it again. I never thought of mashed potato. My family would have a fit at my wasting good mashed potato that way! Lol.

MG Quilts said...

It is dexitrin but using instant mashed potato mix instead. It does turn to a solid mass quickly so you can't be in a hurry when cooking it up. And once it's too thick, it stays that way.