Sunday, June 29, 2008

Experiencing Technical Difficulties

It seems that a Certain Blonde Person has gone off to snow camp for a week and taken the battery charger for my digital camera with her.

Which I discovered this morning when I decided to upload my photos from the last couple of weeks.

And found out that the digital camera battery is dead.

And the battery charger is among the missing.

Heavy sigh.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Flammable When Dry -- Detail

Here is a detail shot of Flammable When Dry, the quilt I made for the My Place exhibition curated by Dijanne Cevaal. I won't find out for a couple of weeks if it's been accepted but I was pretty chuffed that I got it made in time to be submitted.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sydney Quilt Show -- Recess!!

I started out with this piece of fabric from Dyed and Gone to Heaven.
Using the technique from the online class Instant Art Quilts, I got this.
I added a few smaller pieces of torn fabric to break up the bigger spaces.
Then I tucked some blue accent pieces under some of the torn edges.
Here it is machine quilted to death and painted from the back.
I painted on the back and then poured water on the wet paint so that it bled through the quilting to the front. This was a pretty stressful thing to do ... what if I'd messed it up?

Of course, the paint acted differently on the actual quilt than it did in the samples I tested this idea on, so I was pretty anxious at this point. But, thankfully, it turned out just fine.

Voila! Here is the finished quilt, painted, stamped, coloured with paintstiks and bound with my cheater raw-edged binding and hanging at the show.

I'll post some closeup shots of the front and photos of the paint on the back once I've got the quilt back.

Monday, June 16, 2008

Sydney Quilt Show -- Under the Southern Cross

At the Sydney Quilt Show, there was a special showing of the Art Quilt Challenge sponsored by Unique Stitching. And, imagine my surprise to spot my very own entry at the end of the middle row!
And a close up ...

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sydney Quilt Show -- Blaze

Here are the steps I took while making, Blaze, one of my entries for the Sydney Quilt Show. I started with a quilt sandwich of muslin for the top and backing and two layers of felt in between. I added a layer of wool and silk fibres.

And then I added some extra threads for additional texture.

Here is a close up of the added threads.

Next, I add a layer of Solvy and pinned it in place with safety pins.

Next, I machine quilt it to death. I used three different variegated threads, purple, red and yellow/orange, depending on the predominant colour of the underlying fibres.

I dunked the piece in water to wash away the Solvy. I used perle cotton and a zig zag stitch to finish just inside the edge and left the edges raw. And here is the finished product as it was hanging at the show.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Bit of Fog in the CBD

Here's the Opera House.
And you can make out the flags at the top of the Harbour Bridge.