Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Sydney Quilt Show -- Recess!!

I started out with this piece of fabric from Dyed and Gone to Heaven.
Using the technique from the online class Instant Art Quilts, I got this.
I added a few smaller pieces of torn fabric to break up the bigger spaces.
Then I tucked some blue accent pieces under some of the torn edges.
Here it is machine quilted to death and painted from the back.
I painted on the back and then poured water on the wet paint so that it bled through the quilting to the front. This was a pretty stressful thing to do ... what if I'd messed it up?

Of course, the paint acted differently on the actual quilt than it did in the samples I tested this idea on, so I was pretty anxious at this point. But, thankfully, it turned out just fine.

Voila! Here is the finished quilt, painted, stamped, coloured with paintstiks and bound with my cheater raw-edged binding and hanging at the show.

I'll post some closeup shots of the front and photos of the paint on the back once I've got the quilt back.

4 comments:

Dy said...

Love it! Those little bits of blue give it great depth.

Lindi said...

That's fabulous! I can't wait to have a go and experiment for myself.

Kathryn said...

I love the finished project, Maggie. You are firing up my creative juices to do something artistic again!

Helen said...

Very interesting technique, painting from the back. I would never have thought of that in a million years. Love the result.