Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sydney Quilt Show -- Blaze

Here are the steps I took while making, Blaze, one of my entries for the Sydney Quilt Show. I started with a quilt sandwich of muslin for the top and backing and two layers of felt in between. I added a layer of wool and silk fibres.

And then I added some extra threads for additional texture.

Here is a close up of the added threads.

Next, I add a layer of Solvy and pinned it in place with safety pins.

Next, I machine quilt it to death. I used three different variegated threads, purple, red and yellow/orange, depending on the predominant colour of the underlying fibres.

I dunked the piece in water to wash away the Solvy. I used perle cotton and a zig zag stitch to finish just inside the edge and left the edges raw. And here is the finished product as it was hanging at the show.

No comments: